Treat yourself this weekend to some delicious GOJI BERRY SCONES
A bit about Goji Berries
Goji Berries are a DELIGHT - not only are they tastefully sweet but they also have great benefits towards health!
Goji Berry is an important and commonly used herb in Chinese medicine, which benefits the Liver and Kidneys. The liver and kidneys play crucial roles in our body, including the delivery of nutrients to our eyes, bones, tendons, muscles and joints. Which is why goji berries can:
Benefit your Sinews
It can benefit -
Joint, tendon and bone conditions
Prevent joint and bone diseases
Benefit your eyes
it can benefit -
Dry, tired eyes
Prevent eye disorders
Goji berry is also known for its anti-ageing effect! And can enhnace immunity, improve circulation and balance & strengthen the body.
They can be eaten raw, brewed in tea or taken in Chinese medicine formulas. You can be creative with goji berries and include them in your recipes!
Try out our delicious Goji Berry Scone recipe below!
- Caution should be taken for those on Warfarin (blood thining medication)
- Avoid goji berries if you are experiencing cold & flu
- Avoid if you are undergoing bowel/digestive issues
If you are uncertain whether you should be consuming goji berries, it is best to seek your Chinese medicine practitioner for advice.
Goji Berry Scone Recipe
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes 12 scones
Dried Goji Berries: Can be purchased at most local
groceries, asian groceries and health food stores
4 cups (600g) self-raising flour
2 1/2 tablespoons icing sugar
60g butter, cubed
1 1/2 cups (375ml) milk
3/4 cup (180ml) water
1 cup dried Goji Berries
1. Pre-heat oven to 220°c/200°c
fan-forced. Grease a 20cm x 30cm baking tray with butter.
2. Sift self-raising flour and icing sugar into a large bowl; using fingertips, rub the butter into the flour and icing sugar until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Create a well in the centre of the mixture; add milk and water. Use a flat-bladed knife to mix the milk and water through the mixture - until a soft, sticky dough forms. Lightly fold dried goji berries into the mixture. Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth.
4. With a rolling pin, press the dough out to a 4cm thickness. Using a circle cookie cutter (with a 6cm diameter) dusted with flour; cut as many rounds from the piece of dough. Repeat step 4 until all dough is used. Place the scones side by side (just touching) on a baking pan, and brush the tops with extra milk.
5. Bake the scones for 15 minutes or until golden at the top (the scones should sound hollow when tapped on the top with fingertips)